Wednesday, January 31, 2007

An invitation

This entry is an old one, it’s just that I’ve just received the photos from FY and decided to blog about it.

Few weeks ago, Jeff asked us if we want to join Lip Wei’s dinner. I was told that he moved into a new house and held a dinner for all his relatives and us as his friends were invited personally by him. His house is HUGE! Too bad I had not taken a photo of it...

There are more than 10 kinds of dishes and we all ate to our heart’s content. Since Chen and Jeff brought their laptops along with them, we had decided to link Lip Wei’s PC and the 2 laptops together and play in Bs3. I went to set up the connection using my router to get into the internet. The PC was able to use the internet but the 2 laptops failed to get into the internet no matter what configuration was used.

In the end, it was decided that we link the PC and the 2 laptops together and form a LAN network. The only game we played was DotA and it was with the AIs. All of us complained about it as the maximum number of players for each team is 5. And 5 AIs were not enough for 3 people to kill.

We played a number of games, taking turns to play as they were 5 of us. Time does not wait for anyone. It was already past midnight and we were still gaming. Chen fell asleep and FY took some pictures…


Jeff and Chen, Peace!


A close-up of Chen and Jeff . It seems like Chen is sleeping happily and Jeff is enjoying himself... XD


Chen woke up feeling irritated and uses the bolster to hide his face; Lip Wei with the peace symbol and... whose leg is that?


This is what we had for our supper.

Reached home at 0230 and my family was sound asleep. I dozed off moments later after letting my torrents to download.

I’ve noticed that there is a difference between playing DotA with a human and with an AI. There are many students in Swinburne playing DotA with AIs and the item builds were different for most heroes. It is possible for the students to perform very well in a 1v1 or 1v5 game as they had 3500 gold pieces to get the necessary items for their heroes to score last hits (gaining gold).

Most of them would brag around on how great they are with their skills and so on. Of course, most of us DotA players just give short comments or keep quiet when they brag about their skills to us. I’m not trying to say I’m better than they are as I know a few who are better than me in Swinburne; it’s just that they need to play with more real players instead of just Insane AIs to see the real picture.

AIs are programmed and will keep using the same waypoint and method as they depend on the triggers to perform, which makes it very easy to clean them up if a player memorized their paths whereas human players are different, an experienced player will always surprise one with nasty surprises and if the victim was caught off-guard, they must be prepared to wait for the revival of their hero.

Offtopic: There was this colleague of mine telling me that his skills are as good as mine. Since then, I had been waiting for his challenge but he never talked about it anymore. Oh well.

2 comments:

Eric said...

sifu sifu.. teach me some moves and give me some tips..

Wei Liang said...

I'll try my best to help out. What would you like to know?

Dont call me sifu ler.. >.<