Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Pastime?

There are times when my friends would suggest that we feed the fishes in Friendship Park. The first thought that usually came into my mind was ‘a waste of time’ so I always disagreed whenever feeding the fishes is mentioned.

Two days ago, someone suggested that we go and feed the fishes. Since many agreed to do so, I followed suit. After the 1 hour EMB tutorial session had ended, SW, Kelvin, Ah Seng and I proceed to 1st floor to meet up with ZW, Robert, Chen and Jeff. After that, we headed off to where we agreed hours ago. Chen bought fish food a loaf of bread at Fujisan on the way to our destination.

The park looks deserted during that fiery hot afternoon. Actually it isn’t completely deserted as there was a group of four – 2 young ladies, one middle-aged lady and man taking photos at the Park’s entrance. I thought I saw one of the young lady’s shoulder-length hair glowing a rich brown, instantly reminding me of an old friend whom I had not met or rather not fated to meet for more than 2 years. If only I had the courage to talk to her, if only I had not did this, if only I can return back to that time and correct my mistakes, if only this and that. I realized that I was distracted by my past memories again.

“Let’s go ‘YumCha’ since it is still so hot, no fishes will show up now” was what I heard before I dismissed my thoughts. Four cars, eight people, we headed off to Tabuan Jaya for a drink while waiting for time to pass by. Robert and Shao Wee went ahead to one of the game stores to get ‘BB guns’. If I remembered correctly, they wanted to shoot the fishes later… xD

It should be ZW’s happy day since someone unexpected messaged him. The moment he talked about it, all of us talked at once, throwing in advices and whatever we had in mind. It was chaotic but fun. Such happenings don’t happen often especially when someone your opposite gender suddenly messaged you and talked like old friends, more than old friends in fact.

Since evening is closing up, we head back to Friendship Park again and began breaking the loaf of bread to bits before dropping them into the lake. Besides Chen, Robert and Ah Seng also bought bread to feed the fishes. I never knew it was enjoyable feeding the fishes, throwing bits and pieces of bread and watch them grouping up together in one spot, waiting patiently for you to feed them.

Before long, turtles started to show up too. Maybe they sensed food from far away or maybe they were just curious why large numbers of fish gathered together in one spot. Anyway, we tried to feed the turtles but failed. The fishes were just too swift – the moment bread pieces fell into the water, they snapped at it immediately, leaving no share for the turtles. Somehow, I pity the turtles as they also live in the harsh world of today. The strong will prevail and the weak will perish.

There were eight of us and only 3 loaves of bread. Moments later, we ran out of bread as we were also eating those ‘fish food’. I saw an elderly man bringing 2 loaves of bread with him and threw piece by piece into the water while we were breaking the bread into pieces. Inspired by him, we went off to Fujisan to get more bread. The moment we went back to the park, I had this weird feeling that people are staring at us with this weird expression that says something like ‘I wonder if they are still sane’.

Robert and SW left earlier so the 6 of us went on ahead to the same spot where we were before and started dropping pieces of bread. Two kids accompanied by their dad stood beside us and said something like ‘kor kor…’ meaning that they want to feed the fishes too. So we gave them few pieces of bread and continued with what we came here to do. A few minutes later, the same ‘kor kor’ came again and we gave them bread unwillingly again. Ah Seng took pictures of the school of fishes and also commented that there are 5 fools feeding the fishes happily.

We changed our spot the moment those kids finished throwing those pieces of bread. Selfish right? After each of us threw the final piece of bread, I think I lost my mind as I suggested feeding the fishes again in a few days time. Maybe I wanted a break from staring at the monitor for more than 10 hours a day. Feeding fishes is something I feel like doing for a change in my daily routine.

2 comments:

Eric said...

can i be a fish and have you to feed me every day..? =D

Wei Liang said...

Sure... Which kind of fish food would you prefer? xD!