Sunday, October 08, 2006

Tea ceremony

This morning, the 1st thing after I woke up from my slumber is... The damned mini project! Fun Yun MCed twice then only I told him I am waiting for my dad to send me to campus. Since my group members are not there yet (some were still sleeping or just woke up), so my parents asked me to go to my uncle's tea ceremony (for the wedding thingy, don't know how to explain this.. arrrr)
Why not? Since I never witness a tea ceremony with my own eyes. After we reached my uncle's house, I saw my grandparents sitting comfortably on the sofa watching tv programmes. Around 10 minutes later, the bride and groom came in. I was told not to look at the bride (superstitious believes or?) Nevermind that, my eyes were fixed on the tv watching "Miko, Go" (paiseh my pc cannot support chinese words) . The tea ceremony started and I moved away and observe how it was to be done. Grandparents sitting on the sofa and the bride serving tea to them, red packets were given after they finished sipping the tea. Then followed by my parents, the tea was served to them and again red packets were given. After a short pause...
These are directly translated from hokkien...
Bride: "Eh, how old is he(me)?"
My parents: "18 now."
The relatives: "He will also have to participate in the tea ceremony."
Me: (thinks to self) "What the.. So that means I also have to give red packets? But I didn't prepare any..."
The relatives: "You have to serve tea to the bride and groom and call them uncle and aunty."
Me(wondering what I should do though it sounds very easy) *serves tea and called uncle and aunty*
And I go wheee! inside my heart, 2 red packets for me... Erm.. I think thats all I can remember regarding the tea ceremony. Oh well, me and my bad memory. =/
Speaking of hokkien, here's a clip which you might find it funny. If and only you understand mandarin and hokkien.
Pronounciation is very important.

No comments: