Thursday, September 28, 2006

An old friend

There was something in my mind that I wanted to blog but kept forgetting. Now that I had recalled everything I needed to write on, I’d better write it down while it’s still fresh in my memory. Besides the other incident, this one is also bothering me… sigh.

A girl by the name of Audrey, Audrey Hii.

I doubt most of you would know who she is. Well, she’s a kindergarden classmate of mine and was also my good friend. After graduating from kindergarden, we both part ways. After my classes, I went for tuition for my English. That was the time when I still had my tuition classes (not for long). Well, since it was the first time I enter a tuition class, I felt nervous and shy and kept pacing around outside the door. Then the name list on the door caught my attention. I scroll through the names and saw mine, and then I saw hers. She was in this class too. Well, that was nothing since she was just a friend of mine. Through her I get to know more friends of hers. I remembered one of her friend’s name is Samantha, forgot about the rest. Then I still remembered the time when we had to write an essay (composition). The title is “My best friend”. Well, that time, I was still err… new to English, so I wrote the two of them into my essay while the requirement of that essay is BEST FRIEND. In the end, I was reprimanded by my teacher and she laughed jokingly at me for doing such mistakes. Well, those were the times. After grade 1 (first year), we went to grade 2. Again I met her in the same class again but nothing really happened since the word “feelings” does not exist in my dictionary. A normal friend was all she was to me. Many small things happened during this year but none were clear to me so I’ll just leave this part for the time being. During the next year in grade 3, I never saw her anymore. I ended my tuition in 4 years, 8 months time. Still couldn’t forget my grade 4 teacher, though he is strict, he’s a nice person actually. The only person in grade 4 I could remember is Karen Chee, Jacqueline Chee’s eldest sister. You might ask me how come I only remembered her. Well, its nothing actually, it’s because I was in the same class with Jacq and Karen used to pass the umbrella to her during class hours (around 11.30am-12.00pm) Primary school year 1, 2, 3 and 6 is in morning while year 4 to 5 is in the afternoon.

In my church, during those years when I was still in the Sunday school, I met another girl who resembled Audrey but I dismissed that thought since I thought it couldn’t be her. In my final year in the Sunday school (year 12/primary 6); there was a day which I went early to church. Maybe it was because it was my family’s turn to prepare the Holy Communion. I went to the Sunday school as usual, but since it was still early, there was no one except a girl whom I thought that she was my pre-school friend. We exchange glances and I went to my classes and she followed along to put her bag and stuff on the table. Then it dawned on me that she was my old friend. But then I did not talk to her because I do not know what to say to her… oh well. That was still fine. There was this one time when the teacher was busy and could not make it to our class. Our class turned wild and everyone began talking loudly and laughing here and there. Then Audrey and Happy (another girl from my church too) began to play a game of writing the most name of movies. It turned out that Benjamin and I went to help Happy and Audrey wasn’t too pleased with it. So she said “Don’t help la” or something similar to that. Of course, that time I never knew the value of friends completely so Benjamin scolded her first and she retorted back then the stupid me scolded her too and she kept quiet immediately but the game went on as usual. Ever since that day, we never talked to each other and I hardly see her in the church. Maybe she was busy with her studies or she had studied outside Kuching. I could say I met her less than 20 times in a year which was a great difference many years back then. Last Sunday, after the church service ended, everyone went out and had fellowship with one another. I was surprised when I saw her again with her family. She still looked the same; the only difference in her is that she had grown tall. Quite tall I’d say. She had dyed her hair to an orange-brownish color too. We kept exchanging glances; its either I stare at her for awhile or she stared at me for awhile. When our eyes met, we turned away immediately. She left the church after quite awhile. I couldn’t find the courage to talk to her and apologize for scolding her that time. Another sad case for me.

Maybe some other day I’d find the courage within me again and walk straight up to her and apologize. I wonder how many more parts of my memory are still missing. I had retrieved 2 parts, is this the last or are there more to come?

P.S: I just realized there’s another test this Saturday! Oh my… my head hurts

No comments: