Sunday, April 29, 2007

Love vs Career

2 days ago there was this friend of mine whom I get to know in Bs3. He is someone whom I can call an elder brother though he is not one. I used to play DotA with him all day long last year (when we were still having our self-proclaimed holidays after SPM).

He had been traveling to many places this year as a representative of his company to cooperate with companies from other countries. Recently, he told me that he just got back from Taiwan. Besides getting to work with the company in Taiwan, the boss also addresses him as ‘kia sai’ or son-in-law and this boss was kind enough to give him his second daughter as my friend’s bride.

He showed me his fiancée’s picture; of course she was a beauty. The majority of Taiwanese males and females are much better compared to Malaysian males and females in terms of looks. Maybe it is the difference in climate that makes the difference. Of course I felt happy and congratulate him.

A happy ending once they got married and live happily ever after? No, that’s the beginning of all problems - I remembered he had a girlfriend over here in Malaysia too. Comparing his current girlfriend and the Taiwanese girl he shown me, I sadly conclude that the Taiwanese girl look better than his current girlfriend. Of course, physical looks are nothing at all if one is seeking for a long-term relationship. Also, the boss’s daughter has the riches compared to his current girlfriend. Again, money is not a factor if one is seeking for a long-term relationship as you cannot take your money with you to the afterlife no matter how much money you possess.

His girlfriend knew about the Taiwanese girl too but he didn’t tell me her reaction when she knew about it. Any stupid person would also know that the girl must have been extremely sad and hurt even if my friend doesn’t say so.


Let’s weigh the scales:

His current girlfriend: She was his ex-classmate if not mistaken and he had wanted to court her long ago. He succeeded and now had been in a relationship with her for years and both of them always loved each other. They always give and take, never taking advantage of the other. And the list goes on…

His said Fiancée: He had not known her for long but it should be vital that he take her as his bride as this will greatly enhance the relationship between two companies and also earning himself a pretty wife at the same time(ignore the riches part); one-stone-two-birds technique again.

Even so, people like us have different opinions on this issue. Those who are loyal will cling to their partner no matter what happens. A very old-fashion thinking and I admit that I am one of them. But some are willing to give up their partners in order to get better ones. Not that this is wrong, it is right also depending on how you view it - You will be filled with riches yourself and benefiting the company you are working for at the same time and if you are lucky, you are likely to earn a promotion just like that. Reminds me of my Moral Studies lecturer, he said something like: “there is no right or wrong in this world but only the way we view it that makes our opinion different from the rest”.

But my friend is different from us; he doesn’t have a choice like we do. From the way he talked about it, it seems like he is already stuck with the Taiwanese girl and there’s no turning back for him. Rejecting the Taiwanese girl might result in canceling the pact made between both companies and no one would want that to happen. When I questioned him on what came into his mind first; love or career? He answered career almost immediately I wasn’t surprised as I had been expecting this answer from him when I picture myself in his situation.

I wish him the best of luck; this is the time in life when he needs to choose his path of life when the road he is taking is split into two, once a person steps on either one, there is no more turning back.

If you were given a chance to choose, would you choose love over career or career over love?


*******


Swinburne Night was over 4 hours ago. There was a misunderstanding in the sushi part and sad to say, not everyone in my table voted for Silent Mode due to personal reasons not to be revealed here. But I can assure you that I had voted for Silent Mode.

I’ll blog about it after I finished receiving the 200MB size winRAR file from Soon Ping.

Our group left at around 10.30pm and headed to Friendship Park and later on to (Lakeside Park?) for drinks and supper. After bidding farewell to SP, SW, SY, TI, Robert, the five of us – ZW, Kelvin, Jeff, Chen and I went to the airport to kill some time.

That was the time when we watched the policemen chasing after the illegal bikers LIVE. It all happens almost instantly. One moment, the police patrol car was driving through the lane in the first floor airport and disappeared into a corner. Approximately 25 seconds later, 2 bikers revved their engines and with a burst of speed, they zing past us, the police patrol car chased after them, accelerating like what I had never seen before. Anyway, that’s no big deal, give the policemen 10 bucks and you are free to go. Such is the uniqueness of Malaysian policemen. No offence.

Edit: Typos

4 comments:

Eric said...

a materialistic person will think of how to live a better life.. a truly happy person will appreciate everything he/she has.. did i answer your question "If you were given a chance to choose, would you choose love over career or career over love?"..? =D

Wei Liang said...

Eric: Yes you did. I asked that question because everyone have different POVs regarding this case. And I was curious to know what others have in mind for this..

PaNdA said...

umm... why do they have to use that tactic, just like in tvs? marry my daughter or...

so kesian bah.. so hard to decide. I guess he took quite a long time to think over it. =/

saykhia said...

Thanks for supporting us!

And yes, it is a shame to see how 'professional' our police force is. Asal got duit minum kopi, everything for them also jadi.

-_-"